Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Elk Season

Hurray!!!

Another post that has been a long time coming. Megan's family has a tradition of visiting Yellowstone National Park to hear the elk bugle around the start of October. So, since we are off by ourselves we decided to carry on the tradition and visit Rocky Mountain National Park.



There was definitly elk to watch, but there was ton of people as well. I guess we decide to visit during Estes Park's Elk fest. The place was just packed. It was wonderful. We just parked the car in a valley that had a couple of different herds and just watched and relaxed.

There was some bugling but not a lot and the bulls were not as nearly as big as the ones in Yellowstone. However, we almost got to see one fight. Definitely a tradition we will do again next year.

2 comments:

  1. What a cool tradition! I've never seen anything like that. Yep, pretty sure I wouldn't know a elk bugle call if I heard one. And I grew up in WY. No excuse. You guys are like Liz and Dave, getting out and doing all the fun stuff that's going on wherever you live. James and I are big homebodies I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did I miss this post before? looks like fun! love you!

    ReplyDelete